- We acknowledge the contributions that professional staff and volunteers make to our success.
- We believe in the development, ongoing training, participation in the decision making process, and recognition of accomplishments.
- We uphold integrity and the highest ethical standards.
- We collaborate with our community partners to achieve our collective goals.
- We promote equality as a universal right.
The International Transgender Certification Association, Inc. (ITCA) was founded by five influential and passionate women who, through their own work, recognized the lack of clinicians and specialists available to serve the transgender community. The focus of this organization is to enlarge the existing network of service providers. ITCA’s mission is to offer the education, training, and certification needed for the delivery of professional, ethical and knowledgeable care.
A 2011 study by Gary Gates of the Williams Institute estimated that 0.3% of adults in the United States are transgender. In other words, 1 in every 333 people may need guidance or counseling at some time to address their gender dysphoria.
ITCA recognizes that every individual’s journey requires experienced professionals and para-professionals to facilitate decisions about life choices. Currently, there are very few therapists, physicians, and other healthcare providers who are knowledgeable about the transgender community and even less who are willing to treat them. It is for this reason that ITCA will be offering training that will educate professionals and paraprofessionals and continuing to provide the support for them to serve this diverse population.
- To advance the field of transgender health care by focusing on improving service delivery to transgender, transsexual and gender non-conforming community.
- To educate and certify healthcare professionals and community providers to ensure quality care and services.
- To provide a network of highly qualified experts in the field of transgender health by maintaining consistent standards of care.